Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Easy Gift Idea #2- The Gift that Gives Back: A Coffee Bean Necklace

Every year, I try to make something special for the other ladies 
that I teach with at my home church.  
This year, I have had my mind mostly on going to South Africa in 2012 
as a missionary to the Zulus.
My gift giving this year has been from a differant perspective than other years.
I found ways to make or give gifts that would make an impact, not only in the lives of the receivers, but in the lives of others around the world.
My idea for this gift came from a necklace I had bought 
at a local store called Ten Thousand Villages
This store sells items that have been made all over the world.
The proceeds from their sales goes right back to the people in those countries.
I love unique and internationally made things.
So, I bought this necklace.  It was made by some women in Ethiopia.
(Any time I get a chance, I purchase from an African.)
I am also a coffeeholic.
I LOVE COFFEE!!!
I can drink it any time of the day or night 
(I can't drink decaf though, because whatever it is 
that makes it decaf gives me a migraine headache).

Anyway,... I just love this necklace.
Caution: wearing the necklace will give you the sudden intense urge to get a cup of coffee, because the aroma is so amazing!

I thought that a necklace like this would be a great gift for my friends.
So I went online and ordered some fresh coffee beans from Eurasia cafe.
This is the best coffee.
The Eurasia Cafe was started to help missions in Europe, Asia, India, and North Africa.  
It is a fair trade company that allows missionaries to go into countries 
that would not allow missionaries (in some cases) to set up trade.  
Then they start a trading place or a farm to produce tradeable items.  
Those items, including mostly coffee beans,
 are then sent to the USA to be processed 
and then sold so that the Eurasia Cafe Trading Company 
can use the money for special missions projects.  
I know for a fact that they are truly impacting the world for Christ.  
Click on the above link to check out their website.  
I have totally changed all of my coffee purchasing to this company.

Okay, now that the commercial is over, back to the project at hand.
After selecting and purchasing some whole bean coffee.
You need to soak the beans for at least a day in water
(do not soak for longer than 2 days).
The soaking allows the beans to become soft enough to string on wire.

This is what your finished product will look like.
I used thin beading wire (28 gauge) to string my coffee and beads on.
Use wire that is thin enough that it will not break, but is stiff enough to hold when formed into shape.
Use a medium sized needle on the wire to string the coffee beans.

SUPPLIES LIST:
whole bean coffee
medium sized needle
28 gauge wire
pliers
scissors
silver beads (small balls, ornamental,...)
silver chain
silver necklace clasps


HOW TO MAKE THE NECKLACE:

1. soak the coffee beans 1-2 days so that they are soft 
   enough to string, but won't break easily (some of 
   the beans will break, just keep using the ones that 
   don't.)


2. string the first part of the necklace full of coffee 
    beans.
    <<<see example on left
    *Notice that you should pierce the bean through 
    the center.
    *Cut wire about 3 inches extra on both ends & 
    do the same with each part of the necklace.







3. string the second part of the necklace with 
    5-7 coffee beans and then a plain silver bead.
    <<< see example on left





Now that the first three steps are complete, you 
are over halfway there!










4. string the third part of the necklace with 
    2-3 coffee beans and  then a decorative bead, 
    followed by a few plain beads, another 
    decorative bead, and then the coffee beans again.
    <<< see example to the left







* Keep in mind that you can make your necklace as long as you want it.


5. Finish off the necklace by 
   combining all three necklace 
   parts together.  
   a. Take all three strands of 
   wire and thread it through 
   a larger decorative bead and 
   then a smaller one at each  
   end.
   b. Cut a 3 in. piece of chain 
   and a 1 in. piece of chain. 
   c. Attach a the cut pieces of 
   chain to either side.  
   d. Then attach the necklace 
   clasp to the shorter side.
*This allows the wearer to adjust the necklace to the length they prefer.

You can easily make some beautiful coffee necklaces for your friends too!

1 comment:

Tonya said...

This is REALLY neat!! I'll have to check out that coffee shop for missions, too!!