Thursday, December 22, 2011

Gingerbread Men & Gingerbread Boys

Last Sunday afternoon, I finally got around to baking the gingerbread dough 
I had made a few days before.
My brother, William came over and we had a relaxing afternoon of cookie baking fun.
I love Gingerbread cookies, but my dad loves them more.
Every year he asks me to make Gingerbread cookies for him.
"Make them soft", he says.  I am like him.  I love soft cookies.  
The only cookies we like hard are my grandmother's sand tarts.
Here is the best Gingerbread Recipe that I have used over the years.

ROLLED GINGERBREAD COOKIES
1 cup shortening                        1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup King's syrup molasses      1 egg
2 tbsp vinegar                            5  cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda                1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground ginger                    1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves

Cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg, molasses, and vinegar.  
Sift together dry ingredients; blend in.  Chill 3 hrs.

Preheat oven 375 degrees.  Roll dough 1/8 in. thick on lightly floured surface.  Cut into shapes.
Place 1 in apart on greased cookie sheet.  Bake for 6-9 minutes (I get them out just as they are lightly brown (because I like them soft).  Cool 1 minute and remove from baking sheet.  Makes 5 dozen.

After they are cool.  We decorate them with icing and sprinkles.  The icing is made from confectioner's sugar and water.  In a bowl place a cup of confectioners sugar.  Then add a little water at a time.  Alternate between stirring and adding water. Stir in enough water until the sugar becomes a thick paste.  The sugar will harden after it cools on the cookie. Add sprinkles.
After baking the cookies and letting them cool, we put icing on them.
While the icing is still wet William decorated them with sprinkles.
We laughed as he made some of their faces very funny.
It was a great time for making memories.
I am so glad that God has given me a brother who enjoys the simple things.
Every time I make a memory like this, it causes me to be thankful for these times.
After all, William will not be a Gingerbread Boy forever. 
Sometime in 2012, I plan to be moved to South Africa.  
When I return a few years from now, he will be a Gingerbread Man.

No comments: