Sunday, October 14, 2012

My Place of Quiet Rest




Today, I will tell you about my "place of quiet rest".

When I moved into my new house, 
I was so excited to have a veranda.

God has greatly blessed me with this beautiful outside space.
Being from the country, I love the outdoors.

I was anxious to make this space a "place of quiet rest".
Like at home in the States, outdoor furniture can be quite expensive.


There is a Thrift Store nearby that I love to frequent.
I found this baby crib there for 10 rands (that's $1.20 for you Americans).

There were some garden benches made with cribs 
that have caught my eye on Pinterest.
So, I decided to try to make one.
I attached the back board at a slant.
By placing the bottom of the back on the last empty slat.
The top of the back was then tilted back and attached to top of both sides.
Using some scrap wood from my shipping crates, 
I made wooden beams to support a seat.







Then I cut another piece to fit in place over the wood beams.
To protect the new seat from the weather, I coated it with varnish.

Now the bench needs some cushions!


After going through my boxes of fabric, I settled on this one.
The pillow was too simple for me, 
so I decided to add a little dimension to the pillows.

To do this, I cut another piece of fabric, just like the pillows.
The fabric is not printed exactly straight, 
but that didn't matter for what I was going to do.
I began by sewing the piece of fabric onto the pillow with big stitches.

After stitching the part that I wanted to look 3-dimensional, 
I cut each of the feathers apart.

Here is the pillow before the pieces are frazzled.

This is what it looks like after they are frazzled.

Left: pillow without dimension                                Right: pillow with dimension
Now you can see how just a little detail adds alot.

I love the way my cushion and pillows look on my new bench!

My new place is beginning to feel more like home.
Now I have a place to study God's Word.

"There is a place of quiet rest ~ near to the heart of God!"

Near to the Heart of God

There is a place of quiet rest,
Near to the heart of God.
A place where sin cannot molest,
Near to the heart of God.

Refrain:
O Jesus, blest Redeemer,
Sent from the heart of God,
Hold us who wait before Thee
Near to the heart of God.

There is a place of comfort sweet,
Near to the heart of God.
A place where we our Savior meet,
Near to the heart of God.

Refrain
There is a place of full release,
Near to the heart of God.
A place where all is joy and peace,
Near to the heart of God.

Refrain
Linked to Homespun Happenings

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Wow, It looks great. Neat idea. I must say that saw looked awfully close to your left hand :) Thanks for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend.

vinka_2 said...

Nice Gina. What a beautiful veranda. It looks like your digging in the soil already too. The bench came out nice. And only a dollar eighty! You're so creative.

cindy wright said...

Beautiful project and veranda. You are blessed and my boys were impressed with your building skills