Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Easy Gift Idea #1- The Gift of Encouragement: A Notecard Holder

My mother has raised me to handmake most of my gifts.  
Because I have learned to do this, it makes gift giving more meaningful.
Mom and I on Christmas Day
The other year, when mom was having a hard time focusing 
of what the Lord was doing in her life, 
instead of the hard situation she was going through, I made her a special gift.

As a Christian, I know that God's Word is "alive" and can work in our hearts and lives.
So I got out my Bible and wrote a few encouraging Scriptures 
in calligraphy on some 3x5 cards.
Then, I found a cute little card/note/recipe/photo holder at the thrift store.
I wrapped it all up and gave that to her for Mother's Day about 2 years ago.

Today, that gift still sits on her kitchen shelf near the dish sink.
Every so often, I notice that the verse has been changed to a new one.
It serves as a reminder to us of all of the hard times that God has brought us through 
and continues to give us encouragement from His Word for each new day.

The other day, when I saw a dear friend in the grocery store, she started to share with me her spiritual struggle.  We all go through spiritual struggles in our lives.  
Struggles we have to figure out through God's wisdom and overcome with His strength.  
I felt helpless as I listened.  
I knew that I could open my mouth with encourging words, 
but that they would just be that - words. 
God burdened my heart to do something for her that would show that I am not just praying for her or telling her that God will show her and give her strength, 
but that as her friend in Christ, I am standing with her in this struggle.
As I prayed about what to do, I was reminded again 
of that gift I gave my mother a few years ago.

So I went home and made some special encouraging Scripture cards for my friend.
This time, instead of hand writing the cards,
 I designed them on Stampin' Up's My Digital Studio.
You can get a bunch of verses on one 8 1/2 X 11 in. sheet.
After deciding on a color scheme, font, and shadowed frame, I printed them off on cardstock.
 With my Fiskars' paper cutter, I cut each verse out in a rectangle like this.
Then I used Scotch Self-Sealing Laminating Pouches to laminate each verse.
Be sure to leave room around the edge of each card when cutting, 
so that the lamination stays attached.
On the front of the card holder I attached a smaller verse and some Stampin Up ribbon.
Now I have a nice and inexpensive gift to encourage my friend to rely on the Lord!

No comments: