Saturday, December 17, 2011

Family Tree Traditions


Everyone has family traditions, whether you say they are traditions or not.
It has been our tradition to go out into the Christmas tree field 
next to my parents house and cut down our Christmas trees.
Mine, of course, goes in the back of my truck 
to take to my house.
After my parent's tree is settled in the house, it is time to traditionally decorate it together.
First, we string the lights (which sounds alot easier than it really is).  
This year we strung the lights on the tree three separate times. 
 The first two times we tested the lights, but when we were finished the whole tree didn't light.  What a test of patience!  Finally, the lights adorned the branches just as we wanted.
No thanks to mom's cat "Soxey", who laid on the couch and watched us.
After the lights comes the angel on top, gold beads. and antique & new bulbs.
This year we found ourselves singing along to the Christmas Cd's that we had playing.  
Joy to the World, Hark the Herald, Away in the Manger,... 
all came from our smiling lips as we again made another memory.
I lovingly watched as my little brother, William, 
carefully looked at every ornament he placed on the tree.  
He really enjoyed trimming the tree this year.





Next, was my favorite part. 
Isn't it funny how you anticipate a specific part of tree trimming?  My favorite thing to put on the tree are my mother's birds.




If you know my mom very well, you know that she loves birds and bird houses.  Every year she takes her bird collection off the shelves in the kitchen and we use them to decorate the tree.



We strategically hang the birds that hang and then carefully place others on the branches all over the tree.  Some ornaments are old, others are new, some are even handmade.  What a natural thing to decorate the branches of our fragrant fir with birds.(Of course the cats also get excited and sometimes try to catch the birds on the tree.)

As I glanced around this year, while traditionally decorating our tree,
 I couldn't help but thank the Lord that we have kept such a tradition.  
Oh, how I will miss these moments with my family when I spend Christmas 
far away from them in South Africa.

May we never take for granted the small moments that we share with our loved ones.
 "Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. 
For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, 
and then vanisheth away." ~James 4:14

No comments: